Are 80% AR-15 Lowers Legal?
According to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) it’s only the serialized lower receiver of an AR-15 that requires a Federal Firearms License (FFL) transfer at the time of purchase. Finished receivers require this serialization from the manufacturer prior to sale/transfer.
An exception to this regulation are unfinished receivers, which the BATFE does allow to be sold without serialization or an FFL transfer. An unfinished receiver does not stand the test of what the BATFE has held is the definition as a firearm according the the Gun Control Act of 1968.
80% unfinished lowers do not meet the BATFE’s legal definition of a firearm, due to the fire control group and takedown pin holes being un-drilled. This is why it has received the name, “80% lower.” You must complete the other 20% work by measuring, marking, and drilling these holes yourself.
As mentioned, the 80% lower receiver does not require an FFL transfer or serialization. Furthermore, any 80% unfinished lower receiver can be legally drilled and made operable by the purchaser. As long as the purchaser himself or herself completes the drilling for the fire control group, finishes the 80% lower for his or her own personal use, and does not intend to sell the lower receiver after manufacturing.
The BATFE states: “Individuals manufacturing sporting-type firearms for their own use need not hold Federal Firearms Licenses (FFLs). However, we suggest that the manufacturer at least identify the firearm with a serial number as a safeguard in the event that the firearm is lost or stolen. Also, the firearm should be identified as required in 27 CFR478.92 if it is sold or otherwise lawfully transferred in the future.”
Keep in mind, while most US states allow the possession of an 80% lower, some are not as friendly. Check your state and local laws.
Are any special tools required?
Our innovative ‘stacked frame’ design allows for ease of finishing and assembly without a CNC or manual milling machine. A drill press is recommended but not required. A hand drill will do just fine. You’ll also need a Dremel rotary tool with cut off wheel to cut out the G10 parts from the panels. Just measure, mark and drill the fire control group and takedown pin holes and the kit is ready for assembly.
How long does it take to finish drill and assemble?
Typically, finish drilling of the fire control group and takedown pin holes and assembly of the lower can be done in about 1-2 hours by the average person.
Is the 80% kit made in China?
Absolutely not! Our kits will be manufactured in the USA.
DO YOU SHIP TO ALL 50 STATES?
No. Due to increasingly restrictive state laws, we do NOT ship to California or New Jersey. If you want this to change, we encourage you to do what you can to vote out your anti-gun state legislators and vote in those who support your 2nd Amendment right.
Do you ship overseas?
No. We ship products ONLY inside the USA.